Friday, November 25, 2011

Friday, Nov. 25, 2011

I can’t even begin to describe all of the places and things we’ve seen today. We woke up to a beautiful day here in the kibbutz we’re staying. I couldn’t believe how cool it was to wake up with the Sea of Galilee right in our backyard! J
Our day began at Bet She’an. What an amazing archeological site! I’m still wrapping my mind around all we saw there. From there we drove north to the Tel of Dan. Along the way we saw such remarkable agriculture bananas, olives, fruit, corn, etc. K/J – if either of you are reading this – I couldn’t help but think of how this might have been a part of Israel that Dad would have enjoyed. The Israelis are master agriculturists. They have really made the land flourish. The other thing about the fields I couldn’t help but notice as we went further north was rocky fields. Remember clearing rocks out of the fields so Dad could plant? We had NOTHING to complain about! I took some pictures out the window, but it doesn’t do it justice. It also gave me a new appreciation for the parable of the soils.
Our next stop was the Temple of Pan. Craig talked to us about Christ telling Peter He would build His church and the gates of hell (death) would not prevail against it. ML – Craig talked some about Peter and the book of Acts so tell Marsha and the girls at BSF that I thought of them while here in Israel! J
Our guide, Hezi, is a war hero of 3 Israeli wars. He took us to Golan Heights next and shared much about the war of 1967 – fascinating stuff! We walked through a bunker, found old bullets and heeded “Danger – minefield” signs.
After lunch of falfal and cheese pitas for most of us, we stopped at an olive factory – interesting stuff – and then home. I’ve left out a lot, but it’s time for supper. Also – I feel like I’m not doing the description of the day justice b/c I keep wanting to use the word “amazing.” But as Bill says – we’ve been saying “WOW” a LOT every day here. It’s hard to describe all we’re experiencing. Hezi and Craig are wonderful tour guides and really make the place come alive.
So – I’ll close. Tomorrow we start with a boat ride on the Sea of Galilee – can’t wait! It’ll be another “WOW” day. J



No comments:

Post a Comment