Thursday, December 1, 2011

Home again......

Wednesday, Nov. 30, 2011

Well, today is actually Thursday, December 01, 2011 and we are home, but this is the first chance I’ve had to jot down yesterday’s activities.

Our day had a “leisurely start” in that we didn’t “have” to be at the bus until 11:10. Some in the group choose to explore on their own a little. I woke up with a migraine, so Bill and I just took it easy packing. Unfortunately, I felt lousy most of the day so I don’t recall a lot of details – glad Craig has been blogging and many of you have been following that.

We started at the Temple Mount and saw things like the Dung Gate, Davidson’s Gate, and the Southern Steps.

Lunch was at an outdoor café with choice of sharwma, falafel, or pizza. I wasn’t hungry (b/c of migraine). Bill got the falafel. Ronnie A. said the pizza was “o.k.” J (For those of you who don’t know, Ronnie owns and operates Colonial Pizza in Cedarville)

After lunch we walked the last 10 stations of the Via Delorosa and much of the Old City. The fresh air, exercise and distractions seemed to help my head a little at the time.

Our last official stops were the Place of the Skull and the Garden Tomb. We shared communion at the Garden Tomb and that was a special time.

We had supper at a nice mid-eastern place and presented Romi and Hezi with gifts both monetary and otherwise (a C.U. ball cap for Romi to keep the sun out of his eyes and a C.U. sweatshirt for Hezi). I’m not sure about Hezi, but the tour bus guys work for commission and tips. When I think of it, I’m not sure how a lot of people survive on what they seem to make (or not) over here. Anyway, unfortunately, I wasn’t able to enjoy the meal there either as I was beginning to feel really lousy again.

We left the restaurant and headed for the airport. As they were unloading our luggage, I thought the ground was moving and couldn’t figure out why that would be. I asked Bill if the ground was moving? He realized I was pretty sick and he and Lois J. took over from there. We got through all the checks somehow and onto the plane. I pretty much passed out for a couple of hours, but was awakened by an overhead announcement asking if there was a doctor on the plane that could help in the back of the plane. The guy in the seat behind me got up immediately and went as well as a couple of others, for which I was grateful as I still wasn’t sure which end was up for me, let alone help someone else. Several in our group later told me they were afraid the doctor was being called for me. Guess I wasn’t looking so good. J

Anyway – I felt pretty miserable for most of the flight, coming in and out of wakefulness. Around 6 a.m., the pain in my head finally began to let up. We said good-bye to David and Julie in the Philadelphia airport, as well as the Weeks. Christine stayed with us until Columbus, and then she flew onto Chicago.

Elvin King and Luke Tucker picked us up at the Columbus airport. It was a great trip, but I do so love Ohio. J Arriving home we ignored advice and took a 3 hour nap. Bill has started coughing and hacking. Guess he was feeling “left out” as many in the group came home in various stages of illness. Most everything is unpacked and the laundry is done. Looks like some elves have been here in my absence and begun Christmas decorating.

If I had to rate what my top 3 highlights were, I think I’d say 1) The Sea of Galilee boat/worship experience 2) Masada – the climb was worth it! And 3) Hezekiah’s Tunnel. Bill and I both feel we have a much better grasp of Jesus’ life and times for having spent time where He actually lived and walked. Getting to know several in the group better that we have gone to church with for some time was a definite plus. Craig and Kathy are knowledgeable and caring leader/teachers and Hezi is a knowledgeable and delightful tour guide. It was a trip of a lifetime. J

1 comment:

  1. praying that you and Bill feel better soon. Glad you are home safe...and I can't wait to see pictures and hear more about your trip.